Friday, May 9, 2008

A Crazy Day in the Neighbourhood

We decided last night that I would go to work a little early this morning due to the fact we would be a little understaffed today. I could pick up the slack for a little while. So I trott in an hour and 45 minutes early and sit down at my desk. I don't even get logged into the system and my phone is ringing,have everyone log off the system we are going to do some upgrades! On a friday. Afternoon! They have to be kidding. I should say that I work for a company that takes emergency calls for elevators across Canada as well as maintenance and repair calls, on average we recieve more than 2000 calls daily. Working off the system is like a surgan doing your stiches blindfolded. When you are off the system where I work you cant dispatch the calls because it tells you what mechanic takes the calls, it also houses all of the phone extensions for the whole company. So for 20 minutes we are forced to take manual calls and wait to dispatch them until we can get back on the system. Finally it is time to boogy and we discover the upgrades have caused all kinds of system errors which kick us out of the system everytime we save a change or dipatch a call. Back off the system again. and this cycles all day long! Finally they kick us off the system for a final time so they can remove the system "upgrades" so we can get the job done efficiently for once. The fun doesnt stop here though now you have 40 calls on the screen that need to be dispatched and mechanics yelling because the calls are a frw hours old. I don't blame them for being upset about it though, they are on the road and now need to rush around to a bunch of calls in an hour or two that they should have had spread out throughout the day.

I got home tonight tossed my bag on the couch and thought to myself home sweet home, and TGIF! I have to do some laundry tonight but I intend to lay around for most of the evening with my book and a bottle of water and relax. I think I earned an evening off!









No comments: