Monday, March 17, 2008

What brings your bipolar partner peace?

For mine it is the outdoors. Just the thought of hiking in Algonquin park will bring a smile to my partners face. When she is down in the dumps and is not talking I like to talk about our backpacking trip last year. The sound of loons calling across the lake, the song birds singing above our heads high in the trees, the beautiful trees towering above us in all directions. This conversation seems to be able to pull her out of her own mind if only for a moment.

The camping season is almost upon us and already she is planning a weekend in April. The weather will be cold but my girls heart will be warm. the song birds will be out and the frogs will bee singing their mating songs. We will sit in front of a roaring fire to warm ourselves and retire to the warmth of plenty of blankets sfter the sun has set on the day. This is the on e place she is truly free. The one place she feels connected and at peace. If I could I would move us deep into the wilderness, build us a cabin and learn to live off the land. If I could I would take all her pain and worry,her anxiousness and this terrible illness she is forced to deal with on a regular basis away and allow her to live happy in the place she is so desperatly in love with. I wish I could do this for her. Unfortunately the real world calls and the reality is that even escaping into the wildreness costs money and she would still need her meds, we would need building supplies etc... Until we can figure out how to make that dream a reality, we will plan weekends away and take the dose of natures beauty to get us through to the next time.









No comments: